Stronger Together, United in Purpose: Generations United’s Statement Condemning Racism
We stand united in our outrage over the murder of George Floyd and the deeply rooted racism that Black and Brown people face every day. Mr. Floyd is, unfortunately, one of the latest faces added to an all too disturbing mosaic of individuals coldly killed because of the color of their skin.
This is wrong. This must change.
We add our voices to the demand for police reform and the equitable access to quality health care, jobs, and education, needed to ensure people of all ages have the safety, security and opportunity to be valued by their communities and country.
Our chosen action will continue to be building bridges through intergenerational practices which by their very nature are inclusive, accepting of differences and enriched by diversity. Intergenerational families, specifically grandfamilies, are disproportionately people of color. They deserve the respect and public policy supports that honor the sacrifices they make to raise the children in their care.
Racism shreds our social fabric. We can only reweave that fabric if we individually and collectively take a stand and not wait for others to control our destiny. Let’s begin now, stronger together, united in purpose.
- GRAND Voices Racial Equity Initiative (Generations United) Learn more
- African American Grandfamilies- Helping Children Thrive Through Connection to Family and Culture (Generations United) Learn more
- Out of Many, One: Uniting the Changing Faces of America (Generations United) Learn more
- Racism and Violence: Using Your Power as a Parent to Support Children Aged Two to Five (Zero to Three) Learn more
- Youth Changing the World Toolkit (Youth Service America) Learn more
- 10 Ways to Start a Conversation About Race (Race Forward) Learn more
- Race Equity Toolkits Featuring Grandfamilies (Generations United) Learn more