The mission of Generations United is to improve the lives of children, youth, and older people through intergenerational collaboration, public policies, and programs for the enduring benefit of all.
“Generations United is a celebration. The creation of Generations United marks the recognition that America’s generations, its old and young, its children, students, its workers and retired have never been closer, and at the same time, have never needed one another as much as they do today.”
— Founders at press conference announcing a new coalition, Generations United, on August 5, 1986
A world that values and engages all generations
Our Core Beliefs
Generations United is the catalyst that brings single-age focused groups together to build and support a common agenda while providing a unique voice in public debate. We honor, support, and engage all ages.
Further, we believe:
- Intergenerational collaboration unites and improves our communities.
- Intergenerational approaches have a positive relationship to economic growth and value creation.
- Public policy should meet the needs of all generations.
- Resources are more wisely used when they connect the generations rather than separate them.
- Discrimination, in any form, limits a person’s potential to contribute to the development of their community.
- Grandparents and other adults who step forward to raise children are keeping families together and providing an economic service to our country.
Our Strategic Plan
Generations United seeks to be the catalyst for and recognized leader of knowledge-based, intentional efforts to create a world that values and engages all generations. Check out highlights from our Strategic Plan for 2019 through 2021.
Our Annual Reports
Learn more about the impact and work of Generations United in our Annual Reports.