This designation, developed and launched in 2010 with support from the New York Life Foundation, serves as the U.S. benchmark for intergenerational programs and is based on the criteria that underpin the effectiveness of any intergenerational program. The intention of the designation is to recognize excellence while celebrating the rich diversity among intergenerational programs.
The application for 2021 is now available and due July 15, 2021.
How to Apply:
- Complete the pre-application checklist below to see if your program qualifies.
- Download and complete the application
- Submit application and supporting documentation online at https://generationsunited.wufoo.com/forms/z1u5prhz0pc1yvm/ by July 15, 2021.
Current Programs of Distinction:
- AARP Foundation Experience Corps (Washington, DC)
- AGE to Age, Northland Foundation (Duluth, MN)
- Bessie’s Hope (Denver, CO)
- Bridge Meadows (Portland, OR)
- Bridges Program Curricula Suite (Sudbury, MA)
- CATCH Healthy Habits, OASIS Institute (St. Louis, MO)
- Community Corps, Jumpstart, USA
- DOROT’s Youth Volunteer Program (New York, NY)
- Easter Seals Intergenerational Program (Silver Spring, MD)
- Elder Service Partner Program, Messiah University Department of Human Development and Family Science (Mechanicsburg, PA)
- Family Care Center at Northside, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (Richmond, VA)
- Family Friends Program, The Intergenerational Center at Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
- Friends in Schools Helping (FISH), Jefferson Area Board for Aging (JABA) (Charlottesville, VA)
- Gaithersburg Beloved Community Initiative, Asbury Methodist Village (Gaithersburg, MD)
- Geriatric Career Development Program, Jewish Home Lifecare (New York, NY)
- The Great Friendship Link, Sunshine Care Assisted Living Homes (San Diego, CA)
- Hebrew SeniorLife (Dedham, MA)
- Honolulu Walks, Age-Friendly Honolulu (Honolulu, HI)
- The JCA Heyman Interages Center, Jewish Council for the Aging (JCA®) of Greater Washington (Rockville, MD)
- Lakeshore Family Center Intergenerational Project (Irving, NY)
- LinkAGES Colorado (Denver, CO)
- Link Generations (Montgomery County, MD)
- Lutheran Home Intergenerational Program (Wauwatosa, WI)
- Motion Picture Television Fund Volunteer Program (Woodland Hills, CA)
- Neighbors Growing Together, Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA)
- OASIS Intergenerational Tutoring (St. Louis, MO)
- ONEgeneration (Van Nuys, CA)
- Opening Minds through Art at Scripps Gerontology Center (Oxford, OH)
- P&J Beacon Buddies Program (Bronx, NY)
- AmeriCorps Seniors Mentor Program, Kenosha Area Family & Aging Services (Kenosha, WI)
- Sages & Seekers (Los Angeles, CA)
- S.A.G.E. – Senior Adults for Greater Education (Newton, PA)
- Second Acts Grandparent Volunteer Program (Milwaukee, WI)
- Sharing Teens and Elders Project (STEP) (Olympia, WA)
- SMART (Students and Mature Adults Read Together) and Reading Buddies After School, JCY-Westchester Community Partners (Yonkers, NY )
- SMART Reading (Portland, OR).
- St. Ann Center for Intergenerational Care (Milwaukee, WI)
- Time Out Caregiver Respite Program, The Intergenerational Center at Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
- TimeOut@UCLA (Los Angeles, CA)
- TimeSlips Creative Storytelling, (Milwaukee, WI)
- Together Transforming the Experience of Aging, Kendal at Oberlin (Oberlin, OH)
- VISIONS Intergenerational Program, VISIONS/ Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired (New York)
- Does your program address documented needs?
- Are your intergenerational activities tied to program goals and participant interests and input?
- Do you offer formal training/orientation for staff and participants?
- Are your intergenerational programs coordinated by staff or volunteers knowledgeable about all participants?
- Do you collect evaluation data from your program and use it to improve your program?
- Is your intergenerational program supported by organizational leadership and community partners?
If you answered “yes” to ALL of these questions, we recommend you complete the application for the Program of Distinction Designation application.