This designation, developed and launched in 2010 with support from the New York Life Foundation, serves as the U.S. benchmark for intergenerational programs and is based on the criteria that underpin the effectiveness of any intergenerational program. The intention of the designation is to recognize excellence while celebrating the rich diversity among intergenerational programs. The designation is active for 3 years.
How to Apply:
- Complete the short pre-application checklist to see if your program qualifies.
- Complete the application.
- Submit application and supporting documentation.
OR submit hardcopy via mail to:
Attn: Emily Patrick, Senior Manager
80 F St. NW
Washington, DC 20001
Application Deadline Extended: September 27, 2019!
Current Programs of Distinction:
- AARP Foundation Experience Corps (Washington, DC)
- AGE to Age, Northland Foundation (Duluth, MN)
- Bessie’s Hope (Denver, CO)
- Bridge Meadows (Portland, OR)
- Bridges Program Curricula Suite (Sudbury, MA)
- CATCH Healthy Habits, OASIS Institute (Saint Louis, MO)
- Community Corps, Jumpstart, USA
- DOROT’s Youth Volunteer Program (New York, NY)
- Easter Seals Intergenerational Program (Silver Spring, MD)
- Elder Service Partner Program, Messiah College Department of Human Development and Family Services (Mechanicsburg, PA)
- Family Care Center, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System (Richmond, VA)
- Family Friends Program, The Intergenerational Center at Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
- Friends in Schools Helping (FISH), JABA (Charlottesville, VA)
- Geriatric Career Development Program, Jewish Home Lifecare(New York, NY)
- The Great Friendship Link, Sunshine Care Assisted Living Homes (San Diego, CA)
- Hebrew SeniorLife (Dedham, MA)
- Honolulu Walks, The Plaza Assisted Living (Honolulu, HI)
- The JCA Heyman Interages Center, Jewish Council for the Aging (JCA®) of Greater Washington (Rockville, MD)
- Kinship Care Resource Center, Clayton County Senior Services Department (Jonesboro, GA)
- Link Generations (Montgomery County, MD)
- Literacy Interventions, Generations Incorporated (Boston, MA)
- Lutheran Home Intergenerational Program (Wauwatosa, WI)
- Neighbors Growing Together, Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA)
- OASIS Intergenerational Tutoring (St. Louis, MO)
- ONEgeneration (Van Nuys, CA)
- Opening Minds through Art at Scripps Gerontology Center (Oxford, OH)
- P&J Beacon Buddies Program (Bronx, NY)
- PSS/WSF Grandparent Family Apartments at Presbyterian Senior Services (New York, NY)
- RSVP Mentor Program, Kenosha Area Family & Aging Services (Kenosha, WI)
- Sages & Seekers (Los Angeles, CA)
- S.A.G.E. – Senior Adults for Greater Education (Newton, PA)
- Sharing Teens and Elders Project (STEP) (Olympia, WA)
- SMART (Students and Mature Adults Read Together) and Reading Buddies After School, JCY-Westchester Community Partners (Yonkers, NY )
- St. Ann Center for Intergenerational Care (Milwaukee, WI)
- Time Out Respite Program, The Intergenerational Center at Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
- The Intergenerational School (Cleveland, OH)
- TimeOut@UCLA (Los Angeles, CA)
- TimeSlips Creative Storytelling, Creative Trust Milwaukee,(Milwaukee, WI)
- Together Transforming the Experience of Aging, Kendal at Oberlin (Oberlin, OH)
- UNISON-Milwaukee Public Schools Tutor Program (Milwaukee, WI)
- VISIONS Intergenerational Program, VISIONS/ Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired (New York)
- Workforce Academy for Youth, County of San Diego Aging & Independence Services (San Diego, CA)
- Does your program address documented needs?
- Are your intergenerational activities tied to program goals and participant interests and input?
- Do you offer formal training/orientation for staff and participants?
- Are your intergenerational programs coordinated by staff or volunteers knowledgeable about all participants?
- Do you collect evaluation data from your program and use it to improve your program?
- Is your intergenerational program supported by organizational leadership and community partners?
If you answered “yes” to ALL of these questions, we recommend you complete the application for the Program of Distinction Designation application.